Friday, December 28, 2012

The album list, part 2

Yeah, part 2. I should point out that these are just copied & pasted tweets from my Twitter account @maffrj.

25: The Durutti Column - The Guitar & Other Machines (1987). Vini Reilly & Bruce Mitchell are geniuses (is that right?)

24: Paul Simon - Graceland (1986). But then who doesn't love this?

23: Tricky - Maxinquaye (1995). Another that would have been higher previously. Even top 10 at one point. Dark & stunning

22: Carter USM - 101 Damnations (1989). Torn between this & 30 Something until about 20 seconds ago. Pun-tastic

21: LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening (2010). Possibly the finest band I've ever seen live. In fact ignore that "possibly"

20: The Boo Radleys - Giant Steps (1993). Sprawling, yes, but the tunes! Such great tunes!

19: Airhead - Boing!! (1992). Bring back Airhead! They were ace.

18: The Streets - Original Pirate Material (2002). Couldn't wait for this to come out. Must have been in my CD player for months.

17: The Sundays - Reading, Writing & Arithmetic (1990). Jangly indie-pop perfection.

16: Sugar - Copper Blue (1992). Or Beaster. Doesn't really matter. They're both fantastic.

15: Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister (1996). Yeah, that's pretty much perfect really isn't it?

14: Cornershop - When I was Born For The 7th Time (1997). Can't think of anything to say other than "It's bloody great"

13: Buffalo Tom - Let Me Come Over (1992). Best support band I ever saw. Should've been huge.

12: The Lemonheads - It's A Shame About Ray (1992). The original issue, not the one with Mrs Robinson tagged on the end

11: Pixies - Doolittle (1989). Completing a nice little Bostonian triumvirate, a real big hitter outside the top ten

10: The Beloved - Happiness (1990). I guess very much of its time, but that time is very much my time.

9: The Lilac Time - The Lilac Time (1987). Stephen Duffy is one of the finest songwriters this country ever produced.

8: Underworld - Dubnobasswithmyheadman (1994). Before "the big hit" was this amazing album of not-really-dance-as-such music.

7: The Wedding Present - Seamonsters (1992). Saw them play this this year and it's as great as it was when I saw them in '92

6: Spiritualized - Lazer Guided Melodies (1992). Without the wig-outs of its younger siblings, this is all about the (lazer guided) melodies

5: a-ha - Scoundrel Days (1986). This is ONE HELL of an album and I'll stake what's left of my indie cred on it.

4: dEUS - Worst Case Scenario (1994). I love dEUS. I love this album. From the violins on Suds & Soda onwards it's faultless.

3: Teenage Fanclub - Songs From Northern Britain (1997). It could have been Bandwagonesque or Grand Prix, but this just just shades it.

2: the Mountain Goats - Tallahassee (2002) If you know me I'm sure you expected tMG to take top spot. Not quite, not today anyway.

1: Prince - Sign "o" The Times (1987). I'd say this has been my favourite album for maybe 18 of the past 25 yrs on & off. Genius.

So that's it. Quite glad I limited it to 1 per act, added to the variety & the challenge I think. Hope you enjoyed it.

No comments: