Sunday, October 06, 2013

Buffalo Tom top ten for @thelostrecord

You may remember that earlier this year I posted a rundown of my 10 favourite Mountain Goats songs for the rather marvellous Twitter account @thelostrecord

Last night they were kind enough to let me count down my top ten of another of my favourite bands, @buffalotomband

As I did last time, here's the ten in handy blog format, with basically the tweets from last night copied and pasted in here...

I first encountered Buffalo Tom when my good friend James & I went to see The Wedding Present at Leicester De Montfort Hall in 1991. We were both huge Gedge fans at our first Weddoes gig but both left highly impressed by the support band, Buffalo Tom.

Our love of "The Tom" has lasted right through, and we both stood front & centre like real fanboys at their 2011 Manchester gig.

I've tried to be as honest as I can with this and I feel bad for leaving some stuff out. I know some of you will be disappointed that your favourites aren't there, but this is MY top ten so I'm afraid you'll have to argue amongst yourselves!

Before we start, Late At Night hasn't made the list,but here's the band performing it in My So-Called Life 


So, here we go. Place your bets for the number one - the @maffrj @buffalotomband top ten countdown starts here.

10. Birdbrain - Birdbrain (1990) Great rock track from the era when I first heard them.



During my research for this I've noticed that J Mascis' production on the first 2 albums isn't so hot. Prime remaster material.

9. Reason Why - Buffalo Tom (1988) Again early, rocking BT but with a great hook.



Part of the reason why I love that track so much is that this version showed me what else BT could become.



8. Velvet Roof - Let Me Come Over (1992) I'm really front-loading with rockers here. From a GREAT album.



Could have posted the video for that one, but the sound was really tinny. Much better on this version 

7. Torch Singer - Big Red Letter Day (1993)  Didn't expect this to be in but research has secured its place.



6. Summer - Sleepy Eyed (1995) Sleepy Eyed is such a good LP and this is my pick as the best track from it. 




We're halfway through so for some light relief, here's one of my favourite BT clips on YT 



5. Guilty Girls - Skins (2011).  2011 - 23 years since their debut they can still do it.



4. Mineral - Let Me Come Over (1992) Seems popular. Just about anything from LMCO could be in this list.



3. Going Underground - Fire & Skill: The Songs Of The Jam (1999) A top 10 hit (courtesy of Liam Gallagher).



BT have a great way with a cover. Their version of New Order's Age Of Consent and Psychedelic Furs' Heaven both worth seeking out.

2. Taillights Fade - Let Me Come Over (1992) Controversially not in the top spot. It was 5 minutes ago.



And so we approach the end of the @maffrj Buffalo Tom top ten countdown. Before I go, here's some tips for you.


Oh right, that number one...

1. Wiser - Smitten (1998) I've mellowed in my old age. The acoustic & piano on this gets me every time.



So there it is. My favourite ten Buffalo Tom songs today. Tomorrow maybe I'd include something from Three Easy Pieces, who knows.

The list was kindly set up as a Spotify playlist by @CushinaMan so you can listen to that HERE


That's it then, my 2nd stint as guest host of @thelostrecord. Thanks for indulging me. I've been @maffrj. Come say hi.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I'm glad you added Late At Night even though it didn't make your Top 10, it's in mine.
I'll have to give a listen to the Bill solo stuff tomorrow. Thanks for the list!