Friday, September 12, 2014

Don't go changing...

Let me tell you a story about the complicated 3-way relationship that exists between myself, the lovely MrsJ, and music.

Now music has been a big thing in my life for a very long time. From buying Madness' "One Step Beyond"  and recording bits of the Top 40 as a nipper, to joining strangers on Twitter to chat about a simultaneous playback of "What's Going On" for this month's @LPGrp session, it's been a lifelong companion.

MrsJ came along 14 years ago armed with a box full of indie and metal CDs that she'd acquired from a previous relationship (which she had no interest in - the CDs nor the  relationship) and a taste in music that stretched all the way from Bros to power ballads to Kylie and back to Bros. Undaunted by the challenge I faced I took her to see Radiohead and Clinic in a tent in Warrington. After that she STILL agreed to marry me, although the only other gig I've persuaded her to attend with me was a-ha.

Today she asked me what the music playing on the stereo in the kitchen was. My stock response to this question is to turn it off. It's usually asked when I've got a CD on in the car, where I usually try to choose the most accessible things from the selection on offer as I try to appease all the other members of the household.

So expecting to reach for the "Stop" button, I explain that it's the debut album by US indie rock group Madder Rose, only to receive the response "Hmmm, I like it".

Let me point something out: this (almost) never happens. Other than the both of us falling for "I Bet That You Look Good On The Dancefloor" the first time we saw the video on the TV, it's rare that we share any music taste.

Take earlier today. I went to retrieve my CD of "What's Going On" for tonight's tweet-along and MrsJ asked what it was. I explained it was a Motown classic and she told me that she "[doesn't] really like Motown". I pointed out that she's a big fan of Stevie Wonder and she quite rightly pointed out that "Stevie is Stevie - he's different". I ran through some other acts for her to pass judgement over: Smokey, The Supremes, The Temptations... None of these raised so much as a vaguely interested shrug.

It was the next exchange that prompted this post.

"What about Slade?" she asked "Is that Motown?"

Of course I put on my best sarcastic tone and say "Yes dear, Slade. Slade were on Motown".

"Wait, not Slade. Not Slade... SADE! That's it, Sade. Is Sade Motown?"

I love that woman. 

1 comment:

Susan said...

Sweet=)